Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Taking a look at Frank DeFord's "The Rabbit Hunter"

I know this isn't Big Ten football related, but for my sports writing class we have to take a look at Frank DeFord's 1982 article, "The Rabbit Hunter."
It is a piece about former Indiana basketball coach Bobby Knight. It is very well written but also very unorganized.

The problem with the piece is that DeFord jumps around way too much, which especially isn't good for a longer article such as this. The article is divided into six sections, here's how I would change them around. In parentheses is the section of the article that DeFord placed it.

I: Rabbits (1)
II: Older People (3)
III: Coaches (2)
IV: Players (5)
V: Women (4)
VI: More Rabbits

I felt that "Older People" needed to be placed higher up because it gave background knowledge about Knight's upbringing, a part of the story that I feel is important to be placed closer to the beginning.

"Coaches" and "Players" tie in together and should follow one another because they discuss his playing career and transition from playing to coaching. That's why I felt that these two sections should not be seperated.

"Women" really was the section that I was completely unsure of where to put. It goes into more detail about Knight's altercation at the Pan-American games, which is something that was already briefly mentioned. Honestly I think that the "Women" section should have been broken up completely and DeFord should move certain sentences and paragraphs and add them to other sections of the story.

All in all, DeFord did a really good job of writing the piece, it just needed to be unscrambled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Football in the Heartland Visitor Count

Powered By Blogger